Here at The Moon and The Mirror, we adore a little sophisticated debauchery during the Cabaret season! In such a time where I can think of nothing but the dazzling performers and just how much fun I am going to have – I dedicate this edition of MM LOVES to C A B A R E T!
I am endlessly inspired, so read on and come with me into the playground of Cabaret!
TIPS: For Enjoying Cabaret
- Dress Up! This is a call to ban boring and bring back Glamour! In the words of Iris Apfel, have this in mind as your prepare for a fabulous night: “Coco Chanel said take one thing off, I always said, put another thing on!”
- Engage: If the performance involves audience participation, don’t shy away. It may be scary or embarrassing at first, but this arena is all about entertainment and having fun. The performer will guide you and being involved will leave you with an incredible memory of the night! You’ve only got one life darlings!
- Put your phone on silent! Don’t be that person who breaks the mood with your “Bringin’ Sexy Baaaack” ringtone.
- Don’t take photo’s. The click clicking, bright screens and glazed eyes that are focused on something other than the performer is a big no no. Respect your performer and give them your 100% attention. There are always Media images available online which I promise will be of a much better quality.
- Have a few glasses of bubbly!
WATCH: Songs For The Fallen at The Adelaide Cabaret Festival! 15-16 June 2016
We could not be more excited about the Adelaide Cabaret Festival this year as you may have noticed here, here and here! Cabaret for us is an escape into voyeuristic, hedonistic pleasure! One show we are very excited about is Sheridan Harbridge’s Songs For the Fallen. Sophisticated? Check. Debaucherous? Check. Incredibly FABULOUS? Check, Check! See more about her here and enter our competition to win a double pass! (Winners announced June 8th, 2016!)
READ: Your Beauty Mark by Dita Von Teese
We are all too excited about THE burlesque performer coming to our city of Adelaide for The Cabaret Festival! In our priming and prepping, a few tips from Dita herself will keep us with our best foot forward and our most fierce lashes fluttering as we step onto the red carpet!
Her Show “Strip, Strip Hooray!” will be showing twice this year – and tickets may be sold out! However, check out our response to her show here in The Opium Den… and Glam up anyway with her book, you can get it here!
LISTEN: To Allen Cumming Open Cabaret with Willkommen!
Oh! My absolute favourite clip on youtube right now – and I may have a crush on Allen Cumming! Oh! Oh! This performance is truly spectacular and pure Berlin Cabaret! Watch and get into the mood!
Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome!
Fremde, etranger, stranger.
Gluklich zu sehen, je suis enchante,
Happy to see you, bleibe, reste, stay.
Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome
Im Cabaret, au Cabaret, to Cabaret!
BUY: Cabaret Essentials!
If you didn’t get to reading my fabulous guide on How To Survive the Adelaide Cabaret Festival, that’s ok – but heed these essentials! They really are life-essentials… It’s so much more fun to live a life inspired by Cabaret, don’t you think?!
- A fridge dedicated to housing only Veuve Cliquot Rosé Champagne
- Many, many pairs of enormous false eyelashes and trusty DUO eyelash glue
- A pair of red hot, Scarlet shoes!
- A Blonde Wig for making an entrance!
- A slick of red lipstick – We love MAC Cosmetics, Russian Red
GO: To The Adelaide Cabaret Festival
Catch a plane, ride a bus, hitchhike! Just get there! This festival is going to be totally extraordinary with every night boasting decadent shows, hosted imbibing and constant fabulous tid bits around every corner! Do not miss it! June 10-25!